Sunday, February 17, 2013

Healthy eating

I have been eating better lately and that means new recipes to try out.  I thought I would pass some of my favorites along.

With that said, I was in need of something to make for dinner the other night and I found this recipe for Cilantro lime quinoa.  I LOVE it when I have all the ingredients already in the house.  As I was making the quinoa I thought I would need something to go with it so I decided to pair it with tequila lime shrimp.  I thought this dish was simply delicious and a good 30 minute meal (mainly because I didn't marinade the shrimp very long).


Cilantro Lime quinoa 


1 cup quinoa
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 4oz can diced green chiles
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14oz can chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup scallions
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 teaspoon salt
cilantro to taste

Toast quinoa in large pan until it starts to crack and pop, about 3-5 minutes.  Drain and rinse.

Heat oil in pan on medium heat.  Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.  Add garlic and green chiles, Stir together.  Add broth and quinoa, cover and reduce heat to low.  Let cook until quinoa is cooked, about 25 minutes. 

Add scallions, cilantro,salt, and lime, mix together. 
Your dish is ready to serve!

Tequila lime shrimp

2 pounds shrimp
1/4 cup tequila
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
ground black pepper to taste
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 cup chopped cilantro
pinch of salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine tequila, lime juice, cayenne pepper, chili powder, jalapeno, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Toss the shrimp in the marinade.  Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. 

Remove from the refrigerator and toss with cilantro, olive oil, and salt.

Add a splash of olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat.  Once heated, remove pan from heat and add 4 tbsp of tequila to the pan.  Add some shrimp to the pan and cook about 2 minutes, tossing or stirring the shrimp.
Continue until all the shrimp is cooked.
Enjoy!

* I didn't have time to marinade the whole 30 minutes and it still comes out yummy!

Hope you enjoy this yummy healthy dinner.  We loved it in our house, even the little ones!






No comments: