Saturday, November 27, 2010

Giving thanks

For me, this thanksgiving day was not as hard as I would have thought. This was the first thanksgiving ever that I did not see my mom. I lay my head down on my pillow at night I have a hard time escaping the memories of the last month she was alive. During the days though, I feel so incredibly blessed.

I have the best friends EVER!

In the past three months I have had so many friends, some life long friends and some new, step up and be there for me in ways I never knew I needed. I am one blessed girl. This thanksgiving I spent with my oldest friend ever. Katie and I became friends when I moved into my home when I was 6 years old. She lived down the street from me and you could not find two people as opposite as Katie and I. Through the years there have been times when we were super close and there have been time we talked once or twice a year. Now, 23 years later she again lives up the street from me with her 2 boys and we spent my first thanksgiving without my mom with her and her family and it only seemed fitting. The kids played and we all ate and the house had life in it again. I am so grateful to call her my friend. I love you Katie.

I am a little disappointed though that the whole day went by and not one picture was taken. I NEED to get better about taking pictures again.

At 9pm on thanksgiving Jessica came to pick me up and Kylie met us at the mall to do some middle of the night shopping. Although Jess whined the WHOLE TIME we had fun. Kylie has been a rock for me since the day my mom was diagnosed and I don't know how I would have gotten through this past year without her. I know in my heart she would do anything for me. God knew that I would need someone like Jessica in my life at this time. Her friendship came into my life strong around my mothers death for a reason. Her passion for God is inspiring and contagious. She has been there for encouragement, fashion consultant, spiritual guidance and mental therapy (I'm sure she will be sending me her bill soon). Seriously, both of these girls are my anchors.

Then there was tonight. So many of my good friends dating back to high school filled my house with love and laughs. These girls are my crutch. They are always there to encourage me and give me strength. They have cried with me, helped me plan a funeral, sent me texts, and emails, and voicemails, and facebook/blog messages lifting me up and giving me strength for another day. Your words touch my heart.

Why am I writing all this? Sitting here in this moment thinking over the past two days my heart is filled with so much joy. None of my family lives here anymore. My brother is in Santa Cruz, and my aunt and uncle are in Arizona. This weekend I have been reminded the definition of family is wide. These friends I have are my roots. They keep me grounded. Some people go through life and have several friends but those friendships don't have roots. They wither away as the investment is only surface.

This thanksgiving I am grateful God has blessed me with such a devoted and beautiful circle of friends.



2 comments:

Kylie said...

Yes, I would do anything for you! You are an awesome friend and I love you!

Lisa said...

I love you megan! I am thankful for our friendship and how it continues to grow! You are like my second sister!