Tuesday, February 02, 2010

if the bible says it...

...it must be true!

I read a cool blog post today.

It spoke of this passage:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Such a great verse. There are two awesome parts to this verse:

1. I don't have to worry about my boys future. If I invest time and prayer into my children they will always have inside of them the Truth. God's promise is that it will always be there in them. (really the second part)

2. I feel this verse talking to me now, in the present. Let me tell you, my kids know EVERY button to push. They can get my blood pressure raised so high so fast. I sometimes seem to lose it with them. I raise my voice WAY more then I feel comfortable admitting. I feel like I'm just not getting through to them.

In the verse above it says "train up a child in the way they should go". I don't want anger and frustration to be the way my kids are raised up. Today when Ryan was resisting bedtime I felt this verse come over me. What kind of parent do I want my future grandkids to have? The answer is one with patients, calmness, understanding.

Please don't hear me wrong. I love my children very much and they are AWESOME boys but they are at a challenging age right now. They are testing their boundaries. No, I mean SERIOUSLY testing their boundaries! But that's okay, that's what children do.
I now look at them and remind myself to train them up in the way they should go.

Let me tell you... The bible is full of some awesome stuff!

No comments: